Everyone’s View on the State Cross Country Meet

0

I wanted to do better at the state meet and I didn’t place as well as I wanted to. Will Dixon from Madison high school was upset about his race not doing as well as he wanted to. Going for top three and wanting to beat Mitchel Athay from Idaho Falls high school. Will Dixon put in the hard work he thought he needed to beat Mitchel Athay at state and it didn’t work out for him. The previous race before at Will Dixon ran a 15:53 beating Mitchell Athay who is the fastest guy on the Idaho Falls team. Previously had beat michell throughout the season and looked like he was going to beat Mitchell at state. Ryan Stutz from Madison high school ran a 16:12 getting a solid time. Danny Godfrey came in behind Ryan Stutz with a time of 16:30      

Interview what everyone thought about the state cross country meet

1. What was the hardest part racing on friday at the state meet?
  2. Who did you run with for most of the race?
  3. What shoes did you race in?
  4. What were the conditions of the course?
  5. What were you most excited about for the state meet?
  6. Who did you have in mind that you were beating at state?
  7. Was it windy?
  8. What was the hardest part of the course?
  9. What was your favorite part about the state meet?
  10. What was your goal?

Running on a cross country course with grass can be hard to run fast on because in cross country you are racing on an uneven surface. In track your time isn’t affected because you have a smooth surface to run on with no change in surface conditions. You can also run faster when you have your own lane on the track and the track as well as being smooth is flat and that is a huge influence on your time because you have no uphill or downhill making it harder to run your fastest race. The best way to run your fastest race is to think about the work that you’ve put in over the whole season and run your best race that way. Another thing is to focus on the people racing right next to you and use them to help push you along in the race to run your fastest time. You have to not think about how tired you are and instead focus on the race and your goal and start passing people throughout the whole race. Landen Garner said the hardest part of the race was when asked about it said: 

”the hills probably” 

Having someone in mind to run with during the race is one of the most important things to having a good race. If you don’t have anybody that you’re thinking about racing against, you’re pretty much running alone and it’s harder when you don’t have somebody pushing you. The more mentally weak you are during a race that could be from lack of preparation then assuming you won’t do well, or it could be you get a bad start and everyones passing you and it’s hard to stay motivated. You can also stay in a pack of runners and let them push you through the race when you aren’t feeling mentally tough. Running with someone through the race is important and when Landen Garner was asked about that he said: 

“A big group of people really”

Having a good pair of spikes which are shoes that have spikes on the bottom to race in is what will help you to run that fast time when you’re racing. The pair of spikes that you get for cross country can also be used in track and the spikes usually are not too expensive ranging in price from fifty dollars to one hundred and fifty will get you the pair of spikes that you will need to be able to race well in cross country. When buying a pair of spikes what I think you should look for is how well does the spike grip the ground and would it be a good running through mud with. Some of the best brands of spikes that I think there are include nike,adidas, socony, new balance which are good spikes to use. The shoes that I currently have right now are XC racing spikes which grip the ground well but aren’t too heavy. So it’s important to have a good pair of spikes and when Landen Garner when asked about what shoe he raced with during the race said:

“I wore spikes that were adidas boost” 

Racing on a good course is important to you getting the time you are going for. If it’s raining that will slow you down because the course will become slippery and you lose traction and you end up having to work harder to run faster. When Landen was asked about what the conditions of the race were like at state he said:

“It was pretty windy not too bad though”

Making it to state is exciting in cross country and it’s an accomplishment to make it to state because you’ve put in the work to run that fast. You also get a state sweatshirt and you get to race in the state uniform which is a cool experience to get a new hoodie to wear that shows you made it to state. Making it to state is exciting and Landen Garner said:

“The end, or the last one hundred meters”

Having a person in mind that your thinking about going out and beating will help motivate you to run faster. If they run as fast as you than you can run with them and this will give you someone to race against throughout the race. A person that you are thinking of could be a person that has a close pr to you and Landen Garner said:

“I don’t know I was just trying to do my best I didn’t have anyone to beat necessarily”

Running on an uneven surface off the track affects your time because it affects your speed and makes it harder to be able to run fast when it’s not flat. The more flat the cross country course the faster you will be able to run because you will be going up and down less. There is always a part of the course that you think about and how it looks tough Landen Garner said:

“The uphill at the end of the race”

Setting a goal is important and it gives you something to train for. Having goals will help you have something to work towards. If you don’t have a goal there will be nothing for you to be motivated to work towards during the season. A goal you set should be early on Landen Garner said:

“Timewise I wanted to be sub sixteen”

Second Interview

Racing on an uneven course can be hard. When the course isn’t flat and it’s uphill and downhill this affects your running performance. There always a part of the race that is the hardest to race Ryan Stutz said:

“Definitely the last mile the last mile I got caught kinda running alone where I’d pass this one guy”

Running with someone during the race is important. Not racing beside someone will make the race harder for you Ryan Stutz said:

“I never really ran with anyone I was just passing people”

Having a good pair of shoes is important Ryan Stutz said:

“I wore my saucony spikes”

Being able to race in good racing conditions is important if you want to pr Ryan Stutz said:

“It was really nice it was a just a little bit windy”

Making it to state is exciting Ryan Stutz said:

“Too see what me and my boys could do come out with medals and a trophy and that’s always really exciting”

Having a person in mind of beating when your racing is important because that person if they have a pr close to yours you can use that other person to push you during the race Ryan Stutz said:

“Probably Luke Athay from Idaho falls he’s a freshman but a he beat me a few times during the season and I guess I never did beat him so I wanted to do that but I wasn’t successful at state ” 

Having a goal will give you something to work towards during the season for whatever you finish with during the season and Ryan Stutz said:

“Well I really wanted to be like top five I ended up coming in like eighth do it’s not bad but pretty close and then I wanted to break sixteen and I was like twelve seconds off”