What is the Purpose of Testing?

0

Students taking time to prepare themselves the best they can.

Are you prepared for state testing? A lot of students are unaware of what state testing is and often avoid it or wing it.  

“As a Sophomore you take your PSAT which is a practice SAT, ” said Counselor Mrs. Barney. 

If you’re in the top 10% of scores you will be invited as a Junior to take the National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (NMSQT). Anyone can take this test, but it then becomes a National test and if you do well on that, there will be money! Students that aren’t taking the NMSQT will take the ASVAB, which will focus on careers. The Army may also use this to know what areas you could do well in. 

“Spring of your Junior year you take the actual SAT, because the state of Idaho requires you to have an ACT and/or a SAT to graduate and they do that so that students are ready for college,” Mrs. Barney said. 

To get into any college you will have to have taken one of those qualifying tests. Most colleges in our area also require a minimum score of 16. The highest score is 36 and the state average is between 19-22. However to get scholarships most colleges will require at least a 28. 

“9/10 of our students score 1 to 2 points right out of the gate higher on the ACT than they do the SAT.” said Mrs. Barney 

There is an ACT prep class here at Madison available for anyone needing an idea of what to expect when taking this test. This can be really important so make sure you know the material. You have a lot of chances to get scholarships if you do well so get preparing kids!