Starting her dance career at just three years old, Katie Anderson knew that she would always be a dancer and that she would eventually teach it. Her parents were a big influence in this decision. So much so, that they started their own ballroom dance company called Idaho Ballroom Academy (IBA), which she is now a coach for. She has coached for IBA since she was a freshman in high school. Even at such a young age, she loved teaching and assisting alongside her mom.

Throughout her life, she has spent countless hours in the studio practicing and teaching. Katie graduated from Madison High School in 2013, and continued dancing in college. That’s when she became certain that dance is what she wanted to do for the rest of her life, especially because she always wanted to teach it.

She then took a two year break from college to start a family of her own. She now has a daughter that is almost two years old. Although, she doesn’t think that having a child makes her career any harder. She gives credit to her amazing and supportive husband. “As a mom,” Anderson said, “it makes me more confident and a better mom.” Anderson absolutely loves her job.

She even said that she doesn’t think of it as a job. One thing she loves most about teaching, is that her students think that she is funny. She said that she doesn’t like being around adults because they do not appreciate her humor. One of her greatest strengths is being able to connect with the people she teaches and let them know that she truly cares about them. One of her students, Joe Jones said, “Katie has been my coach over the years and has strengthened me as a dancer and has made me more confident and able to believe in myself.”

Anderson said that the hardest challenge she has had throughout her life has been for her to be able to accept that there is no real expectation for her to accomplish. She had to stop thinking that she had to meet people’s standards. All she had to do was be herself and believe that she could do anything that she put her mind to. She also said that it is hard to be a dancer outside of college. This has made her very grateful for her job and supportive family. She loves what she does and is excited to see where it will take her throughout the rest of her life.