Bobcat Beat

MHS Dominates at Home

Zeke Madson, Sports Writer

The Madison Bobcats faced the Rigby Trojans on Thursday January 11 as they went head to head for a conference win. The Bobcats ended up taking this one 61-43 after a back and forth battle between the Trojans. Madison struggled in the first half missing several inside and three-point shots. The boys played very aggressive on the defensive end, having several steals. In the second quarter Madison found themselves in a bit of trouble, trailing by five with six team fouls. In an interview after the game I asked McKay Christensen, the team manager, what the team’s mindset was coming out of the half. He said, “…In the locker room [we] talked a lot about how [we] had a rough first half and still had a lead. The shots just weren’t falling and we looked dazed out there.” That didn’t stop this fierce Madison basketball team from coming back. As the players came out of the locker room their momentum grew and it didn’t stop there. At one point the team was 19 points ahead. This team that is taking Idaho by storm has started out with little credit. Being a younger team, only having three seniors, they are faced with skepticism. Many might think that they are less experienced than other teams. Coach Schwab thinks otherwise. He said, “ All ten of which are key players, each play important roles.” Schwab has a point, since the Bobcats are 12-2 of the season. Madison’s wins have probably proven to any who doubted their legitimacy that they are a team to be reckoned with. With wins over Syracuse, Highland, and Bonneville, Madison is ranked #5 in the State. In the fourth quarter, the game was no longer in question with Madison being up by fourteen points. In the last moments, with six seconds on the clock, a player from Rigby was charged with a technical. Which left Mason McWhorter at the free-throw line. Ending this game on a good note, McWhorter made all four shots and the Bobcats are now 8-0 at home. I asked Hathaway how he felt about getting this win against Rigby, he said, “It was huge, always good to get a conference win.”