College Essays Don’t Have to Take Over Your Life

0

Each fall thousands of students apply to college and one of the most time consuming aspects of that are the essays that some colleges require.

“I understand why the essays are there, so they can get a feel for who you are as a student,” Senior Trent Miller said.

As an English teacher, Mrs. Miller has some tips for students writing their essays.

“Know how to write a narrative essay. When we have you guys write your narrative essays be thorough on them,” Mrs. Miller said.

For a lot of students the essays are a lot of work.

“I think it is hard to write three essays about yourself to the same college about why you want to go there so bad; I feel like it’s kind of pointless,” Trent Miller said.

“Have a good experience to share in your essay because that’s all that they really want,” Mrs. Miller said.

As a counselor at MHS Mrs.Barney helps students prepare for college.

“One thing they need to include is their class load; colleges are looking to see that students are pushing themselves,” Mrs. Barney said.

Colleges want to know about what you have done in your life to help in the world.

“Community service is a huge thing to write on college applications, it kind of lets people know that you’re aware of society and that you’re proactive about helping others,” Mrs. Barney said.

The essays help relay to the colleges what you want to do in your future.

“The thing I would write for college essays would have something to do with what their career goals are and educational plans are and what their plans are to meet those goals,” Mrs. Barney said.

It is important to let the college know about yourself.

“It’s all about selling yourself on paper so you want to make yourself look as good as you can,” Mrs. Barney said.