New Conductor Leads Madison Orchestra to Success

0

Mr. Hansen conducts his orchestra.

With High School Orchestra coming to an end for Madison Seniors, the anticipation for this years Fall Concert was high. The preparation and work put in over the last three months helped prepare them for the exciting night.

“For three months we play all the same music and then we practice at home. It’s a class to relax in and challenge our brains. Sometimes the music is hard to play so we have to sit down and look at it and figure it out and do it over and over again,” Senior Ian Ashby said

Orchestra isn’t just a regular elective. It takes years of experience to reach the level that the MHSl Orchestra students play at. This classes teaches hard work and dedication and the benefits can be seen throughout their time in school.

“As a musician this class has benefited me because I’m able to play with a group of people which allows me to play more of a repertoire in classical music. So I’m able to play more music then I would if I was by myself. I love it it’s my favorite class,”  Senior Jackson LaBaugh said.

The high school orchestra recently went through a change when the older Mr. Hansen retired last year. This change affected the student individually as well as a whole.   

“I love younger Mr. Hansen. He’s like the older Mr. Hansen but I think he’s a lot more involved in our lives. He’s a lot more easy to talk to and kind of understands us a bit more. I think he’s better at explaining to us why we are rehearsing certain parts. Whereas older Mr. Hansen would just drill us, new Mr. Hansen tells us why we are doing something,” Labaugh said.

When the night of the concert finally arrived the students put all their hard work to the test and overall they were happy with the outcome

“I felt prepared. I thought it was good, I did good, we all did good. I think its funny how Mr. Hansen forgot what song we were supposed to play,” Senior Haley Robinson said.