Jaden flying over the mountains near Soda Springs, Idaho.

After High School, there are many things people could choose to do. The most popular choice would most likely be to get an education after High School, which is exactly what Jaden Smith did. Jaden graduated from MHS in 2018 and ever since, he’s been pursuing a degree in Aviation at Utah State University.

“My favorite thing about college is the football games and different student events that go on around campus throughout the semester,” Smith said.

College can bring so much good but also so much stress, so it is important to choose something you like to do.

“Besides getting to fly planes, the other thing I love about aviation is getting to experience something new everyday, and all the adventures I’ll get to go to the places I fly to,” Smith said.

Flying is not easy, and one wrong move could cost you either lots of money or even your life. Even though flight is one of the safest ways of travel it still comes with its own difficulties. 

“The hardest part about flying is understanding weather and how it works. It is very important to know what to expect when flying in different circumstances and how to avoid dangerous situations such as icing (when ice collects on the aircraft making it harder to maneuver)” Smith said.

Getting the license to fly is just a small step in the process Smith is taking, in fact, he was licensed his first year in the program, but the most time consuming part is the certification to become a commercial pilot.

“There isn’t just one way for someone to become a commercial pilot. The FAA has regulations and requirements for each license. There are time requirements you need to meet depending on the type of plane you’re getting your license in (single engine, multi engine, etc). There are also maneuvers you have to do to an extremely tight standard. You also have to take a written exam, there are 100 questions and you need a 70% to pass. After you pass the written, meet all the time requirements, and are proficient enough to fly the maneuvers, you take a test called a checkride. Someone who is designated by the FAA gives the checkride test and there are two parts to it, oral and flight portions. The examiner will ask you questions and give you scenarios to test your knowledge. After that, you go on the flight portion and perform the maneuvers. As long as the maneuvers are within the standards and you show you’re a safe pilot, you are issued your license,” Smith said. 

Most people regret things that they missed out on when they first applied for college, Smith is one of the many.

“I would’ve applied for more scholarships, Tuition and fees add up real quick,” Smith said.

Photo taken by Smith while flying over Page, Arizona. (Courtesy Photo)