The Student News Site of Madison High School

Bobcat Beat

Congress In Action

By: Kaoura Harper

“This congress will now come to order.”

Mrs. Woolf’s Government classes have been holding a “Mock Congress”. For about two weeks, all of her students sit in “congress” and debate over their own bills and resolutions.

The reason for this is to teach students how congress works and how a bill becomes a law. Students prepare a bill or resolution and have the opportunity to introduce what they created to their own classroom congress. Even though it’s a grade for the seniors, most find it enjoyable and entertaining to be able to debate over the bills.

Mrs. Woolf has been holding Mock Congress in her class since she started teaching.

“I remember doing it in my high school government class and that’s what I remembered when it came to teaching congress.” said Mrs. Woolf.

She  believes that this activity really helps students apply how congress works in their daily lives.

By holding this activity in her class, she hopes that the students will start thinking for themselves and see the importance of Congress.

“I enjoy Mock Congress. I want to say more but I want them to speak their opinions…It’s difficult for me and I want to help but I only jump in when they need to be taught,” said Mrs. Woolf.

The students really enjoy being able to debate and be able to get their opinions out to their fellow peers.

“It’s really fun and can either be really funny or dead serious,” said Senior Bradley Hodgson.

Ask any student taking Mrs. Woolf’s government class and they will give you story upon story about what happens.

“They are really learning from it and it’s something they will remember. They are pretty involved in it, my fifth hour gets pretty emotional about the bills they debate,” said Mrs. Woolf.

Mrs. Woolf’s 4th Hour Mock Congress

By: Hailey Berry

Mrs. Woolf’s fourth hour class debated  a bill in Mock Congress to honor Chocolate Chip Cookie Day and Ruth Graves Wakefield. There were many points brought up, such as what day it is supposed to be celebrated, is anyone allergic to  cookies, and what is better, the chocolate chip cookie or the peanut butter cookie?

“Why don’t we make it a National Desserts Day to honor the chocolate chip cookie and Ruth Graves Wakefield? And we don’t have to eat just chocolate chip cookies on that day. We can eat any dessert we want that day,” said Senior Carter Geddes.

It was very educational and interesting to see what roles people played in their mock congress.

“Can we just kill the bill already? I want to go home!” said Kendall Ballard who served as the class Speaker of the House.