Longer Breaks For Struggling Students

0

Over the past couple weeks potato harvest has been in full force.

Photo by Anthony Kelley.
Due to long and hard spud work hours, many students have been falling behind in their academics.

This year, over 130 MHS students had to miss school this year due to the potato harvest. Even though Madison has a one week break planned out for all students, but most farms need longer to harvest the potatoes. 

“I’ve never worked on a farm… it was different from all my other jobs,” Sophomore Grant Nabaum said.

Since the farms need to dig up all the spuds before the ground freezes, many students work late into the night. A couple students have worked till 5 or 7 in the morning and still come to school at 8:30. This causes students to fall behind in school and can greatly affect their grades. 

“It’s a lot of stuff to balance… lots of people are struggling academically,” Junior Emma Hurst said.

Some students think that Madison should have another week of break for spud harvest. Schools such as Sugar-Salem and North Fremont run on this schedule, and it’s worked out well for them in the past. If Madison had two weeks of harvest break, students who work could be able to stay caught up in school.

“We’re given a week off which is great, but sometimes the weather doesn’t permit because we live in Idaho so I think it would be nice to have another week off,” Hurst said.