Bobcat Beat

Paving The Way For a Successful Season

Back to Article
Back to Article

Paving The Way For a Successful Season

Katie Steenson

Katie Steenson

Katie Steenson

Jordyn Day, Sports Writer

Senior Spencer Hathaway lead the Madison Bobcats with 29 points in their victory against the Boise Braves 68-60, on Thursday night in their first home game of the season.

In the first half of the night the Bobcats came out strong with lots of energy and speed. But, the Braves came out with just as much intensity. Players were diving on the ground for loose balls, fighting for position in the post, and sinking shots. The points were going back and forth between the two teams causing the crowd to be on edge. But in the last couple minutes of the second quarter, the Cats managed to pull a 5 point lead before entering half time.

The third quarter is when things started getting a little heated. The two teams came out with even more aggression than in the first half, which caused the gap between the score to get closer as both sides of the court were fighting for the ball. But Madison managed to keep their lead going into the fourth.

In the beginning of the fourth quarter one of Madison’s key players, Jordan Porter, hurt his ankle and he was unable to play for the rest of the game. But luckily for the Cats he’ll be okay because it was only a minor injury.

Frustration and excitement were shown on the faces of the players as the clock was running down. Then with only a couple minutes left, the Bobcats put the hammer down and held the Braves with an 8 point lead.

After the game, as things were settling down, Porter was asked what was going through his head when he got injured at the beginning of the fourth quarter with the score so close, and he responded saying, “Being injured always sucks, but I had confidence in my teammates and I knew that they could keep it up for us.”

Even though the game was close, and Boise put up a good fight, Madison took the win by working hard and having confidence in each other.