Gubernatorial candidate Tommy Ahlquist speaks at MHS

0

Governor Candidate Dr. Tommy Alquist talking to the press after a campaign event at MHS on Wednesday

Dr. Tommy Ahlquist, an entrepreneur and ER doctor who is running for governor in Idaho, stopped at MHS on Wednesday to encourage the seniors that are 18 to go out and vote on May 15. He has started two of his own business, “DB Landscaping” and an AED software company.  

According to his website, Ahlquist is a firm believer in the people of Idaho. He has committed to make the communities in Idaho stronger which lead him to running for governor. Coming in with fresh ideas and believing in teamwork, he wants to make Idaho better.

Former Government teacher Bill Schiess contacted Ahlquist and suggested he come and speak at the school. He thought it would be good learning opportunity for students at MHS to participate in a question and answer session.

After getting the okay to come, Mr. Bennett sent out an email to the MHS staff and faculty inviting them to bring their students to hear him, but did not required them to attend. Many of the staff thought it would be a learning opportunity for students. 

Bobcat Beat reporters attended the event.

Gun Control

Ahlquist has visited 81 out of the 115 school districts in Idaho during his campaign. One of the students in the audience asked what Ahlquist’s thoughts were on gun control and what his plans are to make schools safer in Idaho. He addressed several issues such as mental health and also Hollywood.

“Think about the hypocrisy of Hollywood in America. They spend all their time portraying and glorifying violence and death and murder,” Ahlquist said. “That’s all you see on television, movies, and video games that you’ve probably played a hundred of where you sit and kill people. But as soon as something goes wrong, they’re [Hollywood] nowhere to be found.”

He also talked about how hard it was to get into our school.

“We have gun laws right now. I do not think passing more gun laws will make us safe. Ahlquist said. “We couldn’t just walk into your school today. We got shuffled right into the office. Guess who was standing there when we came in today? You had an officer standing right there. We need to make sure that our schools are protecting our children,” Ahlquist said.

Health Care

Ahlquist is dedicated to reforming healthcare to reduce government intervention in hospitals. He is adamant that reducing the rules and regulations on healthcare will save patients money and will stop doctors from overcharging for treatments.

“What was the cost of medicine 30 years ago?” Ahlquist asked.

Ahlquist’s understanding of complex issues like healthcare and his political experience suggest that he will do well in today’s political climate.

Welfare

Alquist expressed many of his opinions on various topics. Dr. Ahlquist started two businesses when he was in high school, DB Landscaping and Cleaning, which taught him a very good work ethic.

“We need Americans that know how to work and make it on their own,” Dr. Tommy Ahlquist said.

Dr. Ahlquist had a nephew that was working on his car and his car fell on him and he died. They had a child and the women he married to was from a family of generations that lived on welfare. He has been trying to help her get off welfare.

“We need to teach people self-reliance and industry to help them get out,” Dr. Ahlquist said.

Education

Ahlquist responds to the subject of education and questions MHS students had on the topic. He also explained the issues concerning education, and why it is important we have a good efficient system.

“What’s gonna make a big difference for us in education is how do we modernize our education and get you ready to work,” Ahlquist said.

He wants students to be prepared for their future jobs and careers, by modernizing the economy.

“What we need to do in Idaho, and I promise you we’ll do if we get elected, is we need to connect you to jobs that are right here and we need to streamline you into a modern economy that is very different than it was ten years ago or fifteen years ago or twenty years ago,” Ahlquist said.

He asked MHS students what are some of the problems we have with education in America not just here in Idaho.  Students responded with: Shortage of teachers, and certain curriculum systems. He then proceeded to ask about how they can be successful.

“What do you think the most important thing for you as to succeed in life with your education is?”Ahlquist asked.

Students responded with: work ethic, determination, and attitude. He also has plans to change standardized testing.

“We have become a society where standardized testings is everything we do. We need to change that, we do need standards but we need to get our kids plugged in the economy that’s here and we’ll do that,” Ahlquist said.

He wants students to know there are people out there that want to help them obtain education.

“People care, people really love you. You’re our future people want to educate you. People want to make a difference.”Ahlquist said.

The Debate

After a couple of back and forth comments between Dr. Ahlquist and Junior Michael Pulsipher, Ahlquist invited Pulsipher up on the stage for a spontaneous debate.

“Let’s have a little debate right now,” Ahlquist said.

“Can I?”  Pulsipher asked and then joined Ahlquist on stage.

Some students were upset that Ahlquist brought a 17-year-old up on the stage to debate with him on their differing beliefs.

“It doesn’t matter what party I belong to. It doesn’t matter if I oppose or stand behind Ahlquist’s beliefs. I had a problem with the situation that occurred because it was completely unprofessional for a grown adult to ridicule a minor about his political beliefs in front of his peers,” Senior Anna Shirley said.

Others really stood behind what Ahlquist did and supported a lot of his thoughts on education, health care, welfare, and gun control.

“I really liked all the things that Dr. Ahlquist had to say. I liked his views on education. I do like what he said about how we need to strengthen our schools and help keep the students safe,” Junior Bret Bagley said.

Although there were differing opinions, there were some students that had no opinion one way or the other.

“I feel like Michael asked pretty good questions and for some of those questions Tommy Ahlquist gave some good answers and then there were some questions that weren’t answered very well,” Junior Lizzy Woodruff said.

How can we vote for Idaho governor?

May 15th, 2018, there will be a primary election. Voting for the election is very important thing because the future of our country is depending on our votes and we have the responsibility to choose America’s future. Students can vote if they are citizens of the United States, 18 years of age by May 15th, 2018, residents of Idaho, and in their county for 30 days prior to the election.

You can vote at Madison Elections Office (134 E Main St, Rexburg). If you can’t make it on May 15th, you can do early voting. Early voting will be on  April 9th until May 11th, Monday to Friday (8:30am-4:30pm). Just bring your driver’s license with current address and you can register and vote right then! You can also register online by visiting idahovotes.gov.

Baylee Klingler
Governor Candidate Dr. Tommy Ahlquist talking to the press after a campaign event at MHS on Wednesday