Bobcat Beat

Bobcats Face Knights

Back to Article
Back to Article

Bobcats Face Knights

Spencer Hathaway going up for a shot in the opening weekend of Bobcat Basketball 18-19 season.

Carter Stanford

Carter Stanford

Carter Stanford

Eden Little, Sports Writer

Madison faces Hillcrest for the first time this season on Thursday night.  After a good first weekend, Madison comes in with a 4-0 record against Hillcrests’ 1-3.  The Knights will be ready to defend Bobcat Spencer Hathaway who put up 32 points against Boise last Thursday. Bobcat’s defense will be equally aggressive against Hillcrest players, point guard Kyle Austin, and Parker Boyle.

Two years ago Madison beat Hillcrest in a districts game 76-60. Last year the Cats went 2 for 3 against Hillcrest and beat them to be district champions and advance to state. This year Hillcrest is a 4A school facing Madison, a 5A school. The Knights will be looking for revenge after losses in previous years.

Madison had a good first weekend beating Boise 68-60, Borah 53-51 and Mountain View 64-44. They had a good defense, as well as points scored in tough spots. Madison Head Coach Travis Schwab plans to work on being patient on offense as well as rebounding in practice this week. Coach Schwab says that they prepare differently for every game. “What we work on in practice depends on the team we’re playing,” said Schwab They take the season one game at a time.

Madison’s team has a few key factors, giving them the edge this year. They have good defensive players including Seniors Bohlder Murray, Jordan Porter, and Mason McWhorter as well as Junior Mark Williams.

The Cats also have good chemistry on and off the floor. Each player brings a different energy and drive to the team. The confidence they are bringing with them after this week will be important in carrying them through the season. The team’s goal is to outwork and out will every team they play. They stay positive and keep the energy up every play. “Doesn’t matter what game you’re playing, you bring it, you play with effort, get after it. No regrets,” said Coach Schwab