Totally Tubular Seniors From The 80’s

0

The 2018 graduating seniors aren’t the only ones suffering from senioritis. The Madison Staff recalls their high school days and the events they went through as a graduating class in the 80’s.

“We had awesome music, big hair. My school was big on the 80’s culture, the valley girl thing was happening,” Mrs. Miller said.

Things were not completely different back in their years as students. High school still consisted of sports, bad hair do’s, and kids who struggled to get along.

“School was very similar to what we have now, I went to school at Madison. But I have to say the student body was a little rougher cut back then. We saw more fights, we saw more stuff like that. But you know same basic thing. Athletics were a big important part of the school. We didn’t have the clubs or inclusiveness we have now. Today as a teacher I see that there is a variety of opportunities for students to be involved. There’s a lot of opportunity to do other things that aren’t athletic or academic. I things that’s a good change that Madison High School has made,” Mr. Reeser said.

Along with keeping up on the fashion and sports of the time, the students also had to worry about their grades and futures.

“I just new it was gonna pass. We were getting towards the end and so I just really tried hard to keep my grades up because I was going to college and I needed to have decent grades,” Mrs. Miller said.

The Madison staff gave a little advice to seniors who feel they are enduring the effects of senioritis.

“This is just a stepping stone. Enjoy this time, enjoy being in highschool, because life after is hard. So yes you need to study, yes you need to do all those things but just enjoy this high school experience and do everything that you can to be involved and just take it all in,” Mrs. Miller said.

The counsel given to the graduating class of 2018 involves relaxing and taking it slow. Who would have thought?

“The next phases of your life are going to be more difficult. Don’t be in such a hurry, relax and enjoy this time because you’re going to be a senior in high school exactly one time in your life. You’re gonna get that experience for 9 months then your going to be a freshman in college or the new guy at work, and that has its own challenges. I really wish I would have just slowed down and enjoyed it while I had it, because there are a lot of really fun things to enjoy in highschool, look for those things, enjoy those things and don’t worry so much,” Mr. Reeser said.

[Mr. Reeser from his high school days]