The Student News Site of Madison High School

Bobcat Beat

Madison JV Defeats Hillcrest in Convincing Manner

by: Reggie South

from Sports Journalism

REXBURG – January 18, 2017: Madison Bobcats boys JV basketball team started the game out strong and did not look back in a dominating 60-40 win against the Hillcrest Knights. It was an impressive team win propelled behind junior guard Cameron Webster’s 17-point performance.

The Bobcats opened the game 21-10 in the 1st quarter with an amazing 3 quarter court shot by Webster. The Bobcats shot 50% from the field compared to the Knights 27%. The Knights were led by sophomore guard Parker Boyle with 15 points. Another big help for the Knights was sophomore forward Bryce Cook who followed Boyle with 13 points.

After the first quarter the Bobcats did not hold back and outscored the Knights 18-11 in the 2nd quarter making it a 39-21 halftime lead. Starting out the second half both teams were cold but Bobcats still won the quarter 12-7.

The fourth quarter moved along slow, especially because both teams were in bonus. Hillcrest tried to make a comeback but they were quickly shut down by the Bobcats defense and the slow tempo of the game. In the second half the Bobcats kept a comfortable lead the entire time. Bobcats sophomore forward  Spencer Hathaway tied Webster with 17 points and guard Mason McWhorter added a good spark to the team of the bench as well with 7 points and some good defensive stops. The Bobcats won the rebounding battle 31-30 and beta the Knights in assists 18-7.

When asked what the key was or the Bobcats win Webster said, “The key was to play quick, fast and playing good defense.” Only allowing 40 points for the Knights was an example of the extraordinary defense the Bobcats played. “We hustled all night and got all the 50/50 balls, and that’s what our coach wanted us to do.” McWhorter said. This was a good game for the Bobcats to win and they will be looking to keep this going for the rest of the season.

The Bobcats are now (13-0) and will be playing the Skyline Grizzlies Friday night at Madison High School. Hillcrest will be playing Idaho Falls on Friday night at Hillcrest High School. Over the last two seasons the Bobcats were 5-0 against the Knights and this win made it 6-0. The next time these two teams will meet will be Wednesday, February 8 at 6:00 at Hillcrest High School. The Knights will be looking for revenge the next time these two teams play so the Bobcats better be ready.

south-madison-defeats-hillcrest

Sophomore G Mason McWhorter drives to the hole looking so score against the Knights