The Student News Site of Madison High School

Bobcat Beat

Madison soars above Hillcrest

by Tahis Ibanez

Sport Journalism

The Madison girls basketball team beat Hillcrest 48-36 on Thursday. Madison worked hard for this win and got it, the team managed to get ahead with 26-22 at the end of the second quarter after a tie– both teams on 11 first quarter points. The game was very slow-moving during the first quarter with both teams got six fouls.

It was definitely a close game for the first three quarters and half of the fourth quarter, but both teams stayed strong. Some key players in the game were Jazz Delgado who guarded Maycee Stenquist– Hillcrest’s guard; Madi Day had Madelyn Biddulph– power forward; Ryan Tyler had Addy Kirkham– shooting guard.

“It was a fun game,” said Madison’s Hannah Wilson.

This recent win against Hillcrest gave the team great confidence They hadn’t beaten the Knights in 3 years. Madison’s game plan was to start out by having at least a three-point lead, control tempo and have solid defense.

“Hillcrest plays fast,” said Wilson, “but we controlled tempo really well.”

Madison’s Hannah Wilson made a field goal during the fourth quarter.

Some highlights of the game were Leah Dougherty, who not only contributed Madison soars above Hillcrest

with seven points but got great steals during the game with a very strong defense.  Ryan Tyler sailed past this game with 8 points including a smooth 3-pointer in the fourth quarter.

Madi Day blasting in an amount of 10 points, and Jazz Delgado finishing up strong scoring 12 points, with a 6-point-streak. Having only 57 seconds on the clock in the last quarter, the girls broke the second tie of the game at 31 points with a three-pointer from Ryan Tyler taking them to 34-31. This gave them the lead for the rest of the game where they ended up smashing the score, making 14 more points within those 57 seconds remaining and getting a total of 12 points at the end of the game.

Madison’s Ryan Tyler made a three-pointer in the third quarter giving Madison the lead.

The biggest rivals for the girls team are Highland and Bonneville, whom they played against a few weeks ago. The team got a win against Highland and a very close game that took them to over time with Bonneville.“It’s always good to play a tough team that gives you a battle so you can get better.” said Wilson. They have three more conference games and then Districts in the first two weeks of February.