After a great 20-6 season, Madison had a crushing defeat against Meridian High School in the Quarter Finals. Madison still ended up winning the Consolation Championship but a Consolation Championship doesn’t put a banner in the gym. Madison Basketball head coach Shane Humpherys wants to win it all.

Photo: Parker Christensen

Coach Humpherys pushes his team every practice to give Madison the best chance of not having a repeat of last year. “Everything we do in practice is to prepare us for game-like situations,” Humpherys explained.

But with great power comes great responsibility. Coach Humphery talked a lot about how he is not perfect and how every play call he makes isn’t correct. But he tries his very best to make the right decision as much as possible.

Coach Humphrey also talked a lot about playing time. “You have to earn the coaches respect in practice to earn playing time,” Coach Humpherys said. It’s not only practice that matters, it’s also the different roles that different players have on the court. One of coaches main focuses is to be balanced “You’ve gotta be balanced throughout the five starters,”.  What he means by balanced is you can’t have 5 big men on the court. You need a passer, a shooter, a hustler/defender, and most importantly a leader. When he was asked about who the leader is on the team he took a moment to think and responded, “Right now Barret Wilson is our quiet leader, but he does it through example, to this day we are still looking for a vocal one on the court,” Coach Humpherys vocalized.

When asked about the opponents we played Coach Humphery did not hesitate to state that “Rigby is probably the most looked forward to playing this year,”. Rigby High School is Madison High School’s biggest rival in sports. After an embarrassing 42-0 defeat this year in football Madison is looking forward to redeeming themselves this season on their home court.

With only one senior on the team, Madison’s Varsity Basketball program is extremely young. There are 8 juniors, 2 sophomores and only 1 senior playing for the team. Next year is going to be dominant with that many seniors coach touched on “The future is bright for the Madison Varsity Basketball Program” Coach Humperys responded.