Foriegn exchange student Sophie Madeleine at Golden Gate Bridge

There are many Foreign Exchange students who come to visit the U.S. 

from all over the world Including places like France, Germany, Spain, and more. Many of them have come to Madison High School to have an American high school experience.

“It’s kinda boring here and Germany is a little bit better because you can do more things and party more and have more fun.” German Foreign Exchange student Sophie Madeleine said.

Since moving to a different country is such a big change, these students have had to get used to the way things work here. Most of them are eager to get back and miss their homes. 

“The first thing I’ll do when I get back to Germany is eat my favorite German meal called Duna.” Madeleine said.

Duna is a famous fast food diner they eat there.

“If you don’t like Duna, you’re not German,” Madeleine said.

Every Foreign Exchange students’ experience is different. For Lennart Eser it has been a good time.

Foreign Exchange student Lennart Eser at statue of liberty.

“It’s been really fun. I love the people here and I love the food,” Foreign Exchange Student Lennart Eser said.

Being far away from home can be intimidating. But for some, they love the change.

“I don’t really miss my family that much, but I know when I see them I will be excited. But, I do miss home and also German food including duna,” Eser said.

For both of these Foreign Exchange students It sounds like they’re excited to go home. They miss the food and can’t wait to get back to the partying in their countries.

While in the states life doesn’t stop in their home countries, especially with a war going on.
“It has affected everyone from Poland, because there are over a million refugees and everyone in Poland is trying to help the Ukrainian people,” Aleksandra Michalska said. “I’m just hoping nothing happens to my country.”