A Field Trip for our Future

0

By: Sarah Paepke

image
Editors Natalie Tanner and Shaylee Hoffman, and reporter Lexi Dennis talk with BYU-Idaho Student Sam Lloyd about what it’s like to be an editor on a college level during a recent visit to campus on February 18, 2016. The Communication Department hosted a Pizza luncheon, showed students around their department, and invited our team to attend a classroom workshop and Scroll staff meeting. Photo By: Sarah Paepke

The Bobcat Beat staff took a campus tour of BYU-Idaho’s newspaper, The Scroll, last Thursday, Feb. 18. They were able to collaborate with Communications Professors, and Scroll staff members about potential careers in the journalistic field, and what they can do in high school to prepare for their futures.

Classes were provided for them to attend, and they learned about improving their writing, developing design skills, and keeping up with changes in the field of reporting.

Students who plan to pursue a career in journalism received assurance that they are on the right track by being staff members of the Bobcat Beat. The processes and systems that these two newspapers use are very similar, and Michael Cannon, BYU-Idaho’s Department Chair of Communication, announced that he would be honored to have staff members of the Bobcat Beat working for The Scroll in the future.