Much Ado About Something

0

A group performs their rendition of Shakespeare’s “Comedy of Errors” in the form of shadow puppets.

Mr. Snelgroves’ Shakespeare Literature Class demonstrates their knowledge of Shakespeare’s many plays by putting on puppet shows.

Many teachers have different ways of helping their students to learn. However, Mr. Snelgrove has a particularly unusual way of engaging his students.

“We’ve had experience in class where we have read and we have watched [the plays] and so this is the lab, it’s the chance they have to do without my guidance and I can get a feel for where they are in their understanding. Plus it’s just a lot of fun,” Mr. Snelgrove said.

Looking at all the many plays that Shakespeare wrote, the variety can be overwhelming. Through this activity, the students were able to learn and demonstrate their knowledge in a simpler way than reading all the literature.

“We all got into groups and we got to pick a Shakespeare play that we hadn’t already discussed this trimester and make a mini play out of it, using puppets,” Senior Rebekah Kempton said.

Though students learn in many different ways, the puppet shows that were presented seemed to be a fun way of entertainment and learning.

“In doing a puppet show, we had to write our own script which showed that we actually understood the story, plus it’s just fun,” Senior Calvin Fay said.

While some groups had technical difficulties, the whole production was a success for Mr. Snelgrove’s Shakespeare Literature class.

“There’s so many characters in Shakespeare plays so our scene changes were pretty rough, but I thought it was fun,” Fay said.