Bobcats Defeat Highland in Conference Game

0

Joe Dougherty drives for a basket during Madison' s 73-56 win over Highland.

The Bobcats were able to beat the Highland Rams in their first conference game of the season 73-56. The whole gym was filled with tension from the start. The Highland student section immediately started booing Madison when they came out to warm up.

Starters Jaden Schwab, Brigham Williams, Jordan Porter, Joe Dougherty, and Spencer Hathway came out ready to play for the Cats. The Rams won the tip off, but Hathaway quickly got a steal. After a minute without scoring, Hathaway fired a three-pointer and drained it. Highland player Garrett Crane drove to the hoop for an and-one play in return.

With three minutes left in the first quarter, Mason McWhorter and Kyle Jackson subbed into the game for the Cats. McWhorter instantly made a layup, and Jackson got a block, right off the bench.

“Our bench came in and played phenomenal,” said Madison Head Coach Travis Schwab.

After 30 seconds into the second quarter, Williams drilled a three and after getting the rebound on defense, Cameron Webster also nailed a 3-pointer. Having six team fouls with another five minutes to go, the Bobcats stepped up their defense.

While Madison is playing defense, Highland fouls Porter offensively.

The Cats had the ball and Jackson shot a three-pointer with one minute until halftime. The Bobcats lead the Rams 39-32 at the half.

The third quarter is when things got exciting. Hathaway came out of the locker room hot and got seven points within the first minute and Webster comes off the bench with an and-one play. The Madison student section gets pumped up as they do their infamous Numa Numa dance about halfway through the third quarter.

Two members of the student section, acted as “bodyguards” protecting the Numa Numa leader, Bennett Smith, after the Madison vs. Highland fight between the two student sections that happened about two years ago.

Jackson started off the last quarter with another block. Daxton Carr of the Rams, fired a deep three and the Highland crowd goes wild until Williams comes and matches it with a deep three of his own. With a minute left in the quarter, Carr fouls out of the game. Madison put out the rest of their bench to finish the game. The Bobcats hold a nine game winning streak, with Hathaway leading the last two games in points.

Schwab said, “Spencer was solid tonight.”

Madison will move on to play the Bonneville Bees Jan. 9 at Bonneville High School.