“This last weekend we went down to the Mountain West Marching Invitational at Idaho State university. This year the competition included bands from Idaho and Nevada,” Mr. North said.

The competition was an exciting moment for all those involved in the marching band.

“It was a lot of fun, we got first in the state and first in our division,” Junior Caleb Lyons said.

They had a very successful day, taking home many important awards.

“We were given the gem state award which is for the highest placing Idaho band at the competition. In the music world we don’t have state championships so this is as close as we come,” Mr. North said.

Marching Band is not easy and these students have put a lot of work into their nailing all their pieces.

“With marching band everything is memorized, all of your music and your placement on the field and you have to rely on everyone else around you” Senior McKenzie Ward said.

All the members of band work hard and work together.

[Marching band section leaders with their team’s trophies. Photo by Brian Felt.]

“In band if one person is different in the drill, or one person is playing the wrong note then everyone can tell everyone has to be working together,” Sophomore Carley Garner said.

MHS’s marching band brought a show to the competition that many could relate to.

“Our show is understandable, exciting and the students bought into it early bit the judge and the crowd can easily understand our concept so it’s been really good,” Mr. North said.

Overall the marching Band’s most recent competition has shown their potential and talent.

“We’ve had a very good year, good student leaders, good staff and it’s all come together, kind of a perfect storm for us,” Mr. North said.

[MHS Marching Band in formation. Photo by Brian Felt]