High School Students are Fighting the New Drug

0

Story by Sarah Paepke

Fight the New Drug is an anti-pornography nonprofit organization that focuses on educating youth about the harmful effects of pornography, and raises awareness about the growing epidemic.

The organization has reached and influenced young adults nationwide, including some students from Madison High School.

Junior Hayley Stoddard was first introduced to the movement during a school assembly about Fight the New Drug.

“Because I had had some experiences with pornography when I was younger, it really related to me, and I was really moved by it. So I got involved and became a member, and now I’m repping the movement,” said Stoddard.

Hayley Stoddard repping the movement by wearing her "Porn Kills Love" T-Shirt. Photo courtesy of Hayley Stoddard.
Hayley Stoddard repping the movement by wearing her “Porn Kills Love” T-Shirt. Photo courtesy of Hayley Stoddard.

Stoddard explained that “repping the movement” means wearing the organization’s “Porn Kills Love” T-Shirts, being open about discussing the dangers of pornography, and being ready to tell people about FTND.

Junior Clay Wasden who is also “repping the movement” says that the purpose of FTND is to spread more awareness and give information on what porn does to the brain.

“It is easy to get into porn these days without anyone knowing, but it messes with your mind and gives you false information on how things work, and it can ruin future relationships or current relationships,” said Wasden.

Clay Wasden and his friend Lizzie Clark repping the movement by wearing their "Porn Kills Love" T-Shirts. Photo courtesy of Clay Wasden.
Clay Wasden and his friend Lizzie Clark repping the movement by wearing their “Porn Kills Love” T-Shirts. Photo courtesy of Clay Wasden.

Kellie Dayton, the mother of a Madison High School student, says that she definitely thinks pornography is a problem among teenagers.

“It’s too easily accessible and I imagine a person could become easily addicted if they weren’t aware of the dangers of porn,” said Dayton.

Dayton thinks that the solution to this epidemic among teens is to educate.

“Education will make the difference… I think this is one topic where beating around the bush won’t work. Get all of the facts out there. Education, education, education,” said Dayton.

To get involved, students can visit the Fight the New Drug website, www.fightthenewdrug.org, to educate themselves about the effects of pornography and sign the pledge to take a stand against it. The site also features a “Get Help” page which provides recovery resources for those who may be struggling with a pornography addiction.

There will be an FTND fireside held on May 19 in the BYU-Idaho Hart Gym. Clay Olsen, Co-Founder and CEO of Fight the New Drug will be speaking about the harmful effects of pornography on the family, and on society. Admission is free, and everyone is welcome.

Schools or communities can also sign up to be on the live presentation tour schedule by visiting www.fightthenewdrug.org and contacting the live presentations coordinator. School principal Rodney Horton highly recommends these presentations to schools.

“The feedback from the staff and students was very positive. I believe the message shared regarding the impact of pornography on the brain, relationships, and society, was impactful for the students. I would recommend this presentation to all schools,” said Horton.